If you are planning a Self-Drive trip to Uganda, here is the information that you need to know for you to be able to hire a car in Uganda on your self-drive tour.A holder of a valid driver license issued by his country of residence is permitted to drive in Uganda for three months if the driver license is in English. After that period each driver will be required to obtain a Ugandan driving license. If a driver license is not in English, then a driver should have an approved notarized translation of his driver license. As an alternative way, any driver may obtain an International driving permit before traveling to Uganda.
The main Ugandan road traffic rules:
- It is illegal to drive any motor vehicle without valid driver license.
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years.
- Drivers and all passengers are required to wear protective seat belts.
- Motorcycle riders must wear protective helmets.
- It is illegal to drive under the influence of drink or a drug. The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08%.
- The speed limit on highways is 100 km/h (62 mph), outside built up areas – 80 km/h (50 mph) and 50 km/h (31 mph) in urban built up areas.
- The third-party insurance is mandatory.
- To use of a mobile phone whilst driving is illegal.
- A rear-facing baby seat must not be fitted into a seat protected by an active frontal airbag.
- At intersections, drivers must give way to traffic from his right.
- The police phone number is 999.
- In case of an accident, a driver must give to a police officer his name and address, the name and address of the car owner, and the number of the registration plates of his vehicle. The driver must also report the accident in person at the police station as soon as possible, but not later than 24 hours after the accident.
- If a driver needs to wear glasses or contact lenses, he must do that at all times while driving. The Uganda traffic police may require any driver to undertake an eyesight test.
- If a driver is involved in an accident, he should immediately contact his insurer and take pictures of the scene of the accident and the damage of the car.
- To rent a car, a driver must be at least 23 years old and has held a valid driver license for a period of not less than 2 years.
For your car rental services in Uganda contact us by sending an email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +256-701367970